EXTREMELY LOUD & INCREDIBLY CLOSE – limited on December 25, 2011 /wide release on January 20, 2012
Based on the acclaimed novel of the same name, “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close” tells the story of one young boy’s journey from heartbreaking loss to the healing power of self-discovery, set against the backdrop of the tragic events of September 11.
Eleven-year-old Oskar Schell is an exceptional child: amateur inventor, Francophile, pacifist. And after finding a mysterious key that belonged to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on 9/11, he embarks on an exceptional journey—an urgent, secret search through the five boroughs of New York. As Oskar roams the city, he encounters a motley assortment of humanity, who are all survivors in their own ways. Ultimately, Oskar’s journey ends where it began, but with the solace of that most human experience: love.
Academy Award® nominee Stephen Daldry (“The Reader,” “The Hours”) directs “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close” from a screenplay by Academy Award® winner Eric Roth (“Forrest Gump,” “The Insider”), based on Jonathan Safran Foer’s acclaimed novel. The film stars Academy Award® winners Tom Hanks (“Forrest Gump,” “Philadelphia”) and Sandra Bullock (“The Blind Side”), and is being produced by Academy Award® winner Scott Rudin (“No Country for Old Men,” “The Social Network,” “True Grit”). Celia Costas, Mark Roybal and Nora Skinner serve as executive producers.
Also starring in the film are newcomer Thomas Horn as Oskar; John Goodman as Stan, the doorman in Oskar’s building; James Gandolfini as Ron, a new friend of Oskar’s mom; four-time Tony Award winner Zoe Caldwell as the boy’s grandmother; Academy Award® nominee Viola Davis (“Doubt”) and Jeffrey Wright as a couple whose own tenuous relationship has a profound effect on Oskar; and Academy Award® nominee Max von Sydow (“Pelle the Conqueror,” “Shutter Island”) as the man renting a room from Oskar’s grandmother, who befriends Oskar and accompanies him on his quest.
The behind-the-scenes creative team includes Oscar®-winning director of photography Chris Menges (“The Mission,” “The Killing Fields”); production designer K.K. Barrett; Academy Award®-winning editor Claire Simpson (“Platoon”); and Oscar®-winning costume designer Ann Roth (“The English Patient”). The music is by Nico Muhly.
Warner Bros. Pictures presents, a Scott Rudin Production, a Stephen Daldry film, “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.” The movie will be released in limited markets on December 25, 2011 and expand to a wide release on January 20, 2012, and will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.
- ‘Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close’ trailer released (Video) (ontheredcarpet.com)
- The Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close trailer is pure Oscar bait (themodernallegory.com)
- Twin Towers Burn in Gut-Wrenching Trailer for Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock’s Extremely Loud (eonline.com)
- Oscar Bait: ‘Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close’ Trailer (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- First Trailer and Poster for EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE (collider.com)
- ‘Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close’ Trailer: Prepare To Weep (moviesblog.mtv.com)
- ‘Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close’ Trailer (slashfilm.com)
- First Look: Tom Hanks and Thomas Horn in ‘Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close’ (slashfilm.com)
- Sandra Bullock: ‘Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close’ Trailer! (justjared.buzznet.com)
- Toby Introduces the Director’s Cut (fromthehouseofthefoxdogs.wordpress.com)