“Achingly tender and unflinching.”
– Mark Holcomb, THE VILLAGE VOICE
“Mia Wasikowska is captivating. Henry Hopper makes an impressive debut.”
– A.M. Homes, VANITY FAIR
From Gus Van Sant, Oscar®-Nominated Director of Milk and Good Will Hunting, Comes the Acclaimed Love Story Starring Henry Hopper and Mia Wasikowska
Available January 24, 2012, on Blu-ray™/DVD Combo Pack and Digital
– Special Features Include Gus Van Sant’s Silent Film Version of Restless and More! –
Culver City, CA (11/14/11) – From Gus Van Sant, Oscar®-nominated director of Milk (Nominated for Best Achievement in Directing, 2009) and Good Will Hunting (Nominated for Best Director, 1998), comes the acclaimed love story RESTLESS, available January 24, 2012, on Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack and Digital from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Mia Wasikowska (Jane Eyre, Alice in Wonderland) and newcomer Henry Hopper shine in this humorous and touching tale of romance between a young man (Hopper) who has given up on life and a young girl (Wasikowska) on the verge of losing hers. Produced by the Oscar®-winning team of Brian Grazer and Ron Howard (Best Picture for A Beautiful Mind, 2009), actress Bryce Dallas Howard (50/50, The Help) and director Van Sant, and co-starring Jane Adams (TV’s “Hung”) and Ryo Kase (Letters From Iwo Jima), RESTLESS has charmed and moved audiences since its debut at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival. Now, film lovers can discover this “uncommonly touching romance” (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun Times) on Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack, featuring hours of unique and provocative special features, including Gus Van Sant’s Silent Film version of the movie.
Additional special features include deleted scenes, plus the behind-the-scenes featurettes “Being Restless,” “Coming to Life: This is Restless,” “Enoch & Annabel: One Love,” “Enoch & Hiroshi: The Best of Friends,” and “Gus Van Sant: Independent Voice.”
Fans of romantic dramas like An Education and Dear John won’t want to miss RESTLESS when it becomes available to own on Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack ($45.99 SRP) and Digital.
Annabel Cotton (Wasikowska) is a beautiful and charming terminal cancer patient with a deep felt love of life and the natural world. Enoch Brae (Hopper) is a young man who has dropped out of the business of living, after an accident claimed the life of his parents. When these two outsiders chance to meet at a funeral, they find an unexpected common ground in their unique experiences of the world. For Enoch, it includes his best friend Hiroshi (Kase) who happens to be the ghost of a Kamikaze fighter pilot. For Annabel, it involves an admiration of Charles Darwin and an interest in how other creatures live. Upon learning of Annabel’s imminent early passing, Enoch offers to help her face her last days with an irreverent abandon, tempting fate, tradition and even death itself.
As their unique love for each other grows, so do the realities of the world that they have felt closing in on them. Daring, childlike, and distinctly rare – these two bravely face what life has in store for them. Fighting pain, anger and loss with youth, playfulness and originality, these two misfits turn the tables on life and play by their own rules. Their journey begins to collide with the unstoppable march of time, as the natural cycle of life comes to claim Annabel.
RESTLESS marks the screenwriting debut of Jason Lew. It was co-produced by Brett Cranford (Manson Girls, Nightscape). Executive producers are David Allen Cress (Paranoid Park), Eric Black, Michael Sugar (Rendition), Sarah Bowen (Take Me Home Tonight) and Erica Huggins (Flightplan).
RESTLESS was released theatrically by Sony Pictures Classics. It has a run time of approximately 92 minutes and has been rated PG-13 for thematic elements and brief sensuality.
Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack Bonus Material
• Gus Van Sant’s Silent Version of Restless
• Deleted Scenes
• Enoch & Annabel: One Love
• Enoch & Hiroshi: The Best of Friends
• Gus Van Sant: Independent Voice
• Being Restless
• Coming to Life: This is Restless
- Taylor Lautner to Produce and Star in Gus van Sant Film Based on Article in ‘The New Yorker’ (towleroad.com)
- Taylor Lautner teaming up with Gus Van Sant for indie flick (inquisitr.com)
- Taylor Lautner to sink his teeth into Gus van Sant film (guardian.co.uk)
- Review: ‘Restless’ an ideal canvas (cnn.com)
- Taylor Lautner & Gus Van Sant: Film Project Coming! (justjared.buzznet.com)
- Mia Wasikowska, Hot Henry Hopper, and Bryce Dallas Howard Bring Restless to Cannes! (popsugar.com)
- Taylor Lautner will star in Gus Van Sant film! (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Taylor Lautner to Produce, Star in Gus Van Sant’s Next Project (slashfilm.com)
- Restless – review (guardian.co.uk)
- Here’s Why Taylor Lautner Had That Awkward Dinner With Gus Van Sant (huffingtonpost.com)
- Taylor Lautner Is Teaming Up With Gus Van Sant On A New Film (pinkisthenewblog.com)