CULVER CITY, CALIF. (January 4, 2011) – Take Shelter, which captured two top prizes at this year’s Cannes Film Festival and went on to receive glowing reviews from film critics, debuts February 14th on Blu-ray and DVD from Sony Pictures Classics and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. A haunting psychological thriller which Vanity Fair called “an American masterpiece,” the film has a stellar cast headed by Academy Award® nominee Michael Shannon (Best Supporting Actor, Revolutionary Road, and TV’s “Boardwalk Empire”) and Jessica Chastain (The Help, Tree of Life). Also starring are Golden Globe® winner Kathy Baker (1992, Best Actress in a TV Performance, “Picket Fences”), Katy Mixon (TV’s “Mike and Molly”), Shea Whigham (TV’s “Boardwalk Empire”), and, in her film debut, Tova Stewart. Jeff Nichols (Shotgun Stories) wrote and directed.
Recently, Jessica Chastain earned a Best Supporting Actress win from the New York Film Critics Circle, while the Film Independent Spirit Awards recognized Take Shelter with five nominations, including Best Male Lead (Shannon), Best Supporting Female (Chastain) and Best Picture. The film was also honored at major film festivals throughout the year – with the Fipresci Prize and Critics Week Grand Prize at the Cannes Film Festival and as an Official Selection at the Sundance and Toronto Film Festivals.
The film was produced by Tyler Davidson (Swedish Auto) and Sophia Lin (Shadows and Lies) with Sarah Green (The Tree of Life), Brian Kavanaugh-Jones (Insidious), Christos Konstantakopoulos (Burning Heads), and Greg Strause (Skyline) serving as executive producers.
The Blu-ray and DVD contain special features including deleted scenes, a Q&A with actors Michael Shannon & Shea Whigham, commentary with Michael Shannon and Writer/Director Jeff Nichols and a behind the scenes featurette. Take Shelter will be available on Blu-ray for $35.99 SRP and on DVD for $30.99 SRP.
Writer/director Jeff Nichols reteams with actor Michael Shannon to create a disturbing tale for our times that will creep under your skin and expose your darkest fears. When Curtis (Michael Shannon) begins having nightmares of an encroaching, apocalyptic storm, he refrains from telling his wife, Samantha (Jessica Chastain). To protect her and their six-year-old deaf daughter Hannah, Curtis starts focusing his anxiety and money into the obsessive building of a storm shelter. While Hannah’s healthcare and special needs education has resulted in financial struggle, Curtis’ seemingly inexplicable behavior concerns Samantha and provokes intolerance among co-workers, friends and neighbors. However, the resulting strain on his marriage and tension within the community doesn’t compare to Curtis’ private fear of what his disturbing dreams may truly signify
Blu-ray & DVD Special Features include:
• Commentary with Director Jeff Nichols & Actor Michael Shannon
• Featurette: Behind the Scenes of Take Shelter
• Q&A with Actors Michael Shannon & Shea Whigham
• Deleted Scenes
Take Shelter has a run time of approximately 121 minutes and is rated R (for some language). Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.
- 2011: An exceptional year for movies (cnn.com)
- Introducing the Cuddly Michael Shannon (carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Vancouver film critics love The Artist, Jessica Chastain (canada.com)
- Jessica Chastain’s Painstaking, Unusual Method (huffingtonpost.com)
- First Trailer and Poster for RETURN Starring Linda Cardellini and Michael Shannon (collider.com)
- Interview: Jessica Chastain’s Big Year / Big Future (thefilmexperience.net)
- Take Shelter, review (telegraph.co.uk)
- Video: The Help’s Jessica Chastain Says Award Season Is an “Out of Body Experience” (popsugar.com)
- Take Shelter Movie Review (johnjamesdamico.wordpress.com)
- Michael Shannon Does Super Adorable Things (huffingtonpost.com)