The Walt Disney Studios announced today that Marvel’s The Avengers posted an estimated $200.3 million in its domestic debut May 4-6, shattering previous records and positioning the film as the highest-grossing domestic debut of all time. The film’s cumulative global box office gross is an estimated $641.8 million over 12 days in release.
In just three days, Marvel’s the Avengers is the fastest movie to reach $200 million domestically. The domestic debut kicked off Friday, May 4 and marks the second highest single day take of all time at $80.5 million. Saturday’s box office gross of $69.7 million is the highest Saturday take of all time. Moviegoers gave Marvel’s The Avengers a rare and perfect A+ CinemaScore.
Marvel’s The Avengers began opening internationally April 25 and crossed the $600 million mark globally May 6 after just 12 days in release.
International box office highlights include:
- Opened May 3 in Russia with $17.9 million, the biggest Marvel opening weekend ever
- Opened May 5 in China with $17.4 million
- Biggest opening weekend of all time in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Central America, Bolivia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, New Zealand, and Philippines
Marvel’s The Avengers has now opened in all major markets except Israel, Poland, and Japan.
The film’s success comes a month after Marvel and Disney announced that a sequel to 2011’s Captain America: The First Avenger will be released April 4, 2014. A sequel to last summer’s Thor is scheduled for release November 15, 2013, and the third installment of the hit Iron Man series, which has earned over $1.2 billion worldwide, will arrive in theaters May 3, 2013.
Marvel’s The Avengers is the first Marvel Studios film to be marketed and distributed by The Walt Disney Studios.
- Marvel’s The Avengers Domestic Debut Sets All-Time Industry Record at $200.3 Million; Film Grosses $641.8 Million Globally (firewireblog.com)
- THE AVENGERS Blows Up Box Office and Breaks Records! (geektyrant.com)
- The Weekend Box Office: ‘The Avengers’ Edition (sonyrumors.net)
- Avengers Movie Sets Box-Office Records (comicsworthreading.com)
- Avengers Has a $200M Weekend (comicsbeat.com)
- ‘The Avengers’ made all the money! (popbytes.com)
- ‘AVENGER’ ACTUALS: $654.8M Weekend = $207.4M Record Domestic, $447.4M Foreign (m.deadline.com)
- The Avengers Hulk Smashes Box Office Record (escapistmagazine.com)
- The Avengers Hulk-Smashes Box Office Records, and My Expectations (webpronews.com)
- ‘Avengers’ muscles to record $200 million in debut (canada.com)