“Pure delight. A smart, original comedy treat. This is one to see!”
– Box Office Magazine, Pete Hammond
Emily Blunt and Ewan McGregor Star in…
The Sleeper Hit Arrives on Blu-ray™ & DVD with UltraViolet™ July 17th
Also Starring Kristin Scott Thomas and Amr Waked
Culver City, CA (June 4, 2012) – SALMON FISHING IN THE YEMEN – the critically acclaimed CBS Films’ adaptation of Paul Torday’s award-winning novel – arrives on Blu-ray™ and DVD with UltraViolet™ July 17th from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Emily Blunt (The Five-Year Engagement, The Young Victoria) stars as Harriet Chetwode-Talbot, a consultant working to bring a wealthy sheik’s vision of salmon fishing to the desert. In order to complete this seemingly impossible task, Harriet recruits fisheries expert, Alfred Jones, played by Ewan McGregor (Haywire, Beginners), who thinks the project absurd. However, despite the odds, this unlikely pair embarks on an upstream journey to make an outlandish dream come true. The film also stars Kristin Scott Thomas (Sarah’s Key) and Amr Waked (Syriana). The Blu-ray™ and DVD include two featurettes – “Miracles Happen: Making Salmon Fishing in the Yemen,” a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film, as well as “The Fisherman in the Middle East: Novelist Paul Torday,” in which the author talks about his inspirations for the novel.
Directed by Academy Award®-nominee Lasse Hallström (Best Director, The Cider House Rules, 1994) SALMON FISHING IN THE YEMEN won the Heartland 2012 Truly Moving Picture Award. The screenplay is by Academy Award®-winner Simon Beaufoy (Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay, Slumdog Millionaire, 2008).
The film was produced by Paul Webster (Atonement) and executive produced by Jamie Laurenson (My Week with Marilyn), Paula Jalfon (We Need to Talk About Kevin), Zygi Kamasa (The Moth Diaries), Guy Avshalom (Blitz) and Stephen Garrett (Eastern Promises).
SYNOPSIS: From the beloved director of Chocolat and the Oscar®-winning screenwriter of Slumdog Millionaire comes the inspirational comedy Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. A visionary sheik (Waked) believes his passion for the peaceful pastime of salmon fishing can enrich the lives of his people, and he dreams of bringing the sport to the not so fish-friendly desert. Willing to spare no expense, he instructs his representative (Blunt) to turn the dream into reality, an extraordinary feat that will require the involvement of Britain’s leading fisheries expert (McGregor) who happens to think the project both absurd and unachievable. That is, until the Prime Minister’s overzealous press secretary (Scott Thomas) latches on to it as a ‘good will’ story. Now, this unlikely team will put it all on the line and embark on an upstream journey to prove the impossible, possible.
Blu-ray™ & DVD Special Features Include:
- Two Featurettes:
- Miracles Happen: Making Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
- The Fisherman in the Middle East: Novelist Paul Torday
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen has a run time of approximately 107 minutes and is rated PG-13 (for some violence and sexual content, and brief language). Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.
Academy Award® is the registered trademark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
UltraViolet is an entirely new way to collect and enjoy your digital entertainment, giving you the power to instantly access your movies and TV shows with unprecedented flexibility. For more information, visit www.uvvu.com.
SONY PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is a Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) company. Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE’s global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; a global channel network; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of entertainment in more than 159 countries. For additional information, go to http://www.sonypictures.com/
- HATFIELDS & McCOYS arrive on Blu-ray & DVD July 31st (cinemaic.wordpress.com)
- Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3, each debuting on Blu-ray with Ultraviolet June 12 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (cinemaic.wordpress.com)
- Men in Black 2 – First Time on Blu-ray, Men In Black Re-released Too 5/1 – Both Editions Include UltraViolet + Sneak Peek and Movie Ticket Offer for MIB3 (cinemaic.wordpress.com)
- Breaking Bad: The Complete Fourth Season arrives on Blu-ray and DVD June 5th (cinemaic.wordpress.com)
- Ewan McGregor Talks Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, “Lovely” Emily Blunt, and “Unsexy” Accents (popsugar.com)
- Movie Review: Salmon Fishing in the Yemen [M] (flickchick1909.wordpress.com)
- Aaron Sorkin to Adapt “Steve Jobs” for Sony Pictures (cinemaic.wordpress.com)
- Ewan and Emily Bring Salmon Fishing in Yemen to LA (popsugar.com)
- Salmon Fishing in the Yemen review: Ewan McGregor playing against type is a delight (mirror.co.uk)
- IRON MAN ANIME and X-MEN ANIME arrive on DVD April 24th (cinemaic.wordpress.com)